Thursday, February 12, 2009

Leaving Sydney


My comfy hotel acomodations were up and I was sick of lugging around six months worth of possessions, so I dragged my bags across town once more (the hotel was next to the strip club precinct, where the nearest metro station was, and where a prostitute asked me if I was in need of her services the day before, who then had to go aid her larger friend who was sprawled out on the sidewalk after I declined). In general so far it seems like there are way less sketchy street lurkers in Australia, although there are some loons. The train ride to Melbourne was eleven hours, there were giggly German backpackers (they enjoyed the names of the towns, e.g. waga waga), I ate some bangers and mash, and I got to see the countryside. See the above photo, and you get the general idea, although I also saw horses, sheep, junk cars, llamas, some cool looking small towns. I feel like a lot of my time will be spent in the city, but I do have fantasies about buying a kangaroo skin hat and exploring the outback like the cowboys of old, only a modernized version with a Harley, hunting dingos with a boomerang. Actually, before coming down unda', I envisioned my perfect trip as being similar to Tent City (a skateboarding video for those not in the loop), although I realize I'm a Uni student, not part of a professional team with vans and hella hookups, so I'll have to live out my own skateboard adventures by exploring the skateparks of suburban Melbourne, the city streets (lots of skatestoppers, but I've still skated some sick shit already), and hopefully make it up to Pizzey or somewhere that I can shred in memory of Cardiel's final pre-injury days.

I've already been in Melbourne for a bit, but that will have to come at a later point.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a great time so far Nathan! I can't wait to see more posts and pictures. I think you're going to meet a ton of really cool people in Melbourne. That's a funny story about the prostitutes there are a lot of whores in Italy to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, the word "whores" is so derogatory; prostitutes are not lucky people in our world but they are human beings.

    ReplyDelete